Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Breakfast with Will




      I took breakfast with Shakespeare the day after the spring carnival, I called him Will and he didn’t seem to mind much. He sprinkled a bit of sugar on his sausage and indicated in an as a matter of fact tone that the sugar brought out the meats natural flavor as long as you didn’t use too much. I asked if a good meal helped him write and he laughed.
     “Writing dear boy, is bolstered by appetite alone. Starvation is the key to penning gold, love or adoration, but not sex.”
     “What aids in the writing of sex,” I asked, not looking directly at him a blush on my cheeks.
     He pushed his plate to the center of the table, licked the sausage fat and sticky sugar from his fingers and sighed as he leaned back in his chair.
      “A breast in your mouth and two fingers as close to heaven as you dare….so keep your notebook ready my lad, it’s fleeting and can turn to tragedy in the time it takes the heart to consider beating.”

13 comments:

  1. I believe it. I take "it's" in the last sentence to refer to sex, not heaven or love? (As in feed the sex but not the fever?) Sugar plays such an important role in this dialogue! Thanks for taking up the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it’s fleeting
    and can turn
    to tragedy
    in the time
    it takes
    the heart
    to consider
    beating.

    love love love love. love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe! What a breakfast companion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do SO well with prose and dialogue!! Excellent and natural flow to this...I enjoyed it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prose is your strongest form ~ I love love the sugar and heat i the final verse~

    A treat to read tonight Corey ~ Hope you are well ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last line is purely wonderful, Corey. And the sugar on the sausage was hilarious.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are deserving of ~ at least once in our lives ~ of a teacher like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ol' Will knew better than most that love is oftentimes a verb. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspired, this. I think he really did bless you with a bit of wisdom this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my....Breakfast with the Bard. Love it! You are our resident storyteller in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. If anyone could give advice on how to write about the tragedy of love, it was Shakespeare! I love this conversation, and had to smile at the question, and the answer.. made me re-evalute the sugared sausage (sorry, but you put it out there!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. To sit down for breakfast with Shakespeare, you've a great moment with sausage and humor to boot. I think scholars forget what a wicked humor the man had. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is eggsellent. Sometimes, it isn't those long tapered digits that have all the fun, it's the sausage fingers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete